Re: Raspberry PI thoughts - slightly OT?

I don't know how support for the Raspberry PI is with Fedora.  It is
listed as an ARM chip, though a proprietary Broadcom design.  It fits
here right?

What I was thinking was have it powered via POE (either from a switch
with POE or a Powerline adapter with POE, I have read of one of these).
Put this in a case, and you would have 2 USB ports for drives.

About right?

Now to find a case that will hold not just the PI, but also the POE card
(and the short cable connecting the two, they should have included POE
on the board).

That would have priced it out of the education market the devices is targeted for. The linux and maker/hacker communities around the device are simply a very nice side effect for them.

This MIGHT be my next attempt for a NAS after getting the pogoplug working.

http://www.xtronix.net/datasheets/Raspberry_Pi_PoE_Data_Sheet.pdf

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Power-over-Ethernet-Powerline-Adapter-Launched-by-Asoka-313475.shtml

Nifty, nice to see someone has done it.

Although it likely would be cheaper to buy a injector/spliter pair and source and barrel to microUSB cable.

http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DWL-P200-Power-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B0002MH3HO

Few points to consider.
1) Your Ethernet is on the same USB bus your drives would be connected to. This limits your performance.

2) The PoE adapter you listed only puts out 1A. The SoC and ethernet chip use up around 1/3 that. Meaning you have to be conscious that your two drives don't exceed the remaining current draw. Also you don't have 12V avaliable if you want to use a 3.5" HDD. 2.5" should be fine as their only 5V, but again, got to watch the current draw.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=164893

--
Scott Sullivan