Re: Quick notes from Sunday....

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Jonathan Masters <jcm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On a plane...quickly written notes below.

F18
    [snip]
   - js. Confusion exists as to whether fix works. Reconfirm what was tested and consider pkexec has broader issue, whether we are blocked. Probably needs technical probing.

Installing the latest scratch build on chromebook using f18-armv7hl was not happy when testing 'pkexec yum update' from a wheel user.
My hope is that on v5 image the illegal instruction has gone away, somebody plz test.

   - PackageKit. Official update mechanism needs to work (see also pkexec). See also js.

I'm only aware that yumex in a graphical desktop setup (panda, chromebook, highbank, vexpress) would have this issue.
We could choose to bundle some other GUI package update tool, or say that the cmdline yum utility is acceptable.
That would entirely avoid having to fix the problem with policykit (as a blocker), which may or may not be a js problem.

   - v5 images. Should just need building once we have the above fixed.

V5 image for panda would be nice to have, makes life easier to have for troubleshooting v5 issues.
Also makes it easier to setup an image creation host for live media creator, or even a builder.

   - dtb. Need to get dtb built into 3.6 based F18 RC images in order to be ready for 3.7. Especially OMAP and Tegra. Dennis prefers built in standard package, ok with doing so in 3.7 kernel (kernel-dtb) and pulling back into RC images as an exception this one time. Saves reissuing 3.6 kernel package. Some testing done. Need to verify all targets have right bits in place and check 3.7 kernel upgrade.

Today I tried to get the pandaboard to boot using the 3.6 DTB from ausil website, and was not successful loading the DTB from u-boot load addr.
I suspect for panda we might have to append the DTB to the zimage and run mkimage on it.
That would be a great task for grubby or whatever part of the kernel install that invokes mkimage.
The problem here is I think the trimslice works when the DTB is loaded from u-boot, but not appended (needs confirmation).
So we might get different boards working different ways in terms of device tree.

Open issues
   - 3.7 kernel update scratch built. To send Peter final patch. Known working on highbank and versatile but unclear if upgrade works on e.g. OMAP. Need to at least get dtb in known good state on 3.6 image so we can hope to get 3.7 update right without hacks. Then need to test 3.7 more on OMAP, Tegra.

I promised to open a BZ on the DTB's thing, and will do that shortly.
Basically we need to go ahead and get DTB's working for 3.6 kernel *before* 3.7 kernel update lands after we release.

[snip]

-Jon Disnard
irc: masta
fas: parasense