Re: Guide to ARM cpu & their support

> Hello!
>
> I was wondering if you can recommend a pointer or two (or three) with an overview of the variations of the various ARM CPUs supported in the recent images posted (esp. on F17, and the more recent F18 beta).

We currently support 5 core SoCs (Systems on a Chip). They are the
OMAP family by Texas Instruments and include OMAP3 and OMAP4 devices
with the beagle board and panda board platforms being tested. The
second is nVidia tegra2 platforms tested on the Trimslice device.
Third is Calxeda EnergyChip ECX1000 and that's primarily a server
platform. The final one is the ARM Versatile Express PoC platform and
it's primarily the for qemu virtualisation support. We also support
kirkwood with some of the plug computers

> Perhaps pointers to more generic descriptions of the CPU capabilities and the nomenclature used in the list (and kernel?).

Try google.

> I have used the various Marvell plugs out there and now playing with the RasPi, but I would like to get the lowdown on all these variations. I know there are variations with hard fp, core version and perhaps other things, ARMv8 (64bits), A5/A7/8/A9/A15 (what happened to A6 and others?), cortex vs no-cortex, these can be a little confusing to keep track of ... so I was looking for some guidance :)

The A* devices are rumoured to be named after the large A series roads
around their office in Cambridge UK so it's likely the A6 isn't near
their office if that is in fact the means on naming.

The Cortex-A8 was the first of the ARMv7 devices. Followed by the A9.
The rest are of similar age and is basically low - high. The article
on ARM processors on wikipedia is good.

Peter