Re: Ada for Fedora ARM

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Sean Omalley <omalley_s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was able to get a working gnatmake, and successfully run a helloword ada program by using the debian packages extracted.
> the untarring the data.out.tar.gz files. (not a great test, but..), you also have to recompile binutils to allow sys-root and install it. (which is enabled for xplatform builds, but not for either debian or fedora's native builds. but it is needed to get gnatmake to work.  I was using the 4.6 gcc version packages from debian, and 4.6 actually supposedly works better then 4.7.x.
>
> I got to cloog support for some reason and mucked up the linker paths and wedged it, since I need to run the 18 beta and start over, im calling it a day on this.
>

> It actually would probably be more productive to flesh out the cross-compiler libs since 4.7 seems to have some issues with ADA, and the compiles are faster with cross, and it makes it easier for -other- projects to cross compile. so it isn't a complete waste of time if it never works right. (which I assume is what Peter is saying. :) )

Do what ever the hell you like.... these are the facts:
1) for it to land in Fedora ARM is had to be natively compiled. FULL
STOP. Not starting this conversation again, look at the list archives.
2) whether 4.6 works better is completely irrelevant as 4.7 is what we
have in all current Fedora releases
3) You should be doing your work on 4.8 as it's only going to land in
rawhide and that is due to get 4.8 soon.
4) Patches to specs need to go upstream into mainline Fedora gcc. We
have no difference from them what so ever. We literally recompile
mainline src.rpm. If it's broken the fix goes into mainline and it
filters through eventually.

So you can waste a whole lot of your time cross compiling 4.6 and it
doesn't bother me in the slightest but to get it upstream I personally
believe it's a waste of time. Ask Jakub for his 4.8 src.rpm if he
didn't post a link in the devel@ thread and work on that. If there's
fixes needed you might even get them landed upstream before 4.8
release. You might even just need to change the ifarch statements
around ada if you're lucky as if it's actually supported on 4.8 it
might just work.

Peter