Re: F18 ARM Beta Test Candidate 2

Sean, Derek, others,

On 12/14/2012 12:31 PM, Sean Omalley wrote:
> That was part of the series, that if you didn't have the correct
> firmware you had to set the arcnumber, and kernels wouldn't work, and a
> few other issues. I think ext2 support and zlib both were buggy straight
> from the manufacturer. Both Arch and Debian, I believe, require updating
> the firmware, rather then trying to program around broken software that
> has already been fixed. You even have to update the firmware on x86
> before you can get support from anyone.
>
> I am not saying the image creation is correct.

I posted notes on how to install onto the non-Plus GuruPlug. Generally
speaking, I strongly disfavor ever touching U-Boot on a device[0]. We
can get it to install using VFAT for the first partition, but that code
isn't currently in Anaconda, so some post-processing is needed for those
devices that can't read the ext3 filesystem. I am not going to advocate
for holding the release or hacking Anaconda further in F18 over this
one. We'll get to it, but for now, David pointed to my notes:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/arm/2012-December/004609.html

If Derek is local to Cambridge, MA, we can even grab a coffee and I can
show you sometime how to get it working.

> I know EFI  requires DOS
> partitions, but we aren't talking about x86 either.  The EFI idea was
> good but the implementation is just totally borked. Even Apple had to
> get stuff changed to support HFS which is indicative of a poor design.

I'm afraid, I'm not getting your point here (unless it's "some other
boot protocols use FAT filesystems too") because U-Boot isn't (U)EFI. I
am actually a fan of the UEFI design as opposed to U-Boot. U-Boot is the
Swiss Army Knife of embedded fanbois (of which I am one elsewhere) but
it doesn't have a multi-thousand page standard manual, or an industry
body driving it, or many of the other good things that UEFI has and
which too many in the Open Source community instantly hate without
realizing that's why their PCs aren't even worse today.

Jon.

[0] Call me stodgy and old but I want a platform provided by the
hardware vendor. I'm not a fan of what other distros do hacking stuff
up. It's why I'm big on the boat of getting us moved to UEFI asap.
Slight caveat in the case that there's easy JTAG - I'm less concerned
about bricking devices then, but I don't want Fedora doing firmware.