Re: Introduction and dumb questions

Hi David,

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM, David Rusling <david.rusling@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> all,
>   it's been a while since I've build / been involved with RPM packages, but
> I now have a Samsung ARM chromebook to play with.   I've installed the
> various rpm build tools.   Questions

Welcome back ;-)

>  - do I need to use Koji or this more of a tool for package maintainers to
> build and upload packages etc?

No, you don't need to build them with koji, it's primary role is to
build the official distro packages although it's possible to use it
for scratch builds too. The easiest way to do this locally is to do
"yum install fedora-packager gcc" and then run rpmdev-setuptree which
will setup a local rpm build env.

There's a good overview here
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

>  - do the standard Fn source RPMs include support for ARM?

Yes. We use 100% upstream mainline Fedora src.rpms, 99% of them even
build on ARM ;-)

>  - anyone want a package ported to ARM?  I want the Chrome web browser, but
> should probably start with something simpler

It might be that the Chromium packages that spot builds for x86 are
buildable for ARM, I've not tried to do so though.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium

>  - good informational website on getting going porting packages to ARM?

Are you talking of packages that are in mainline Fedora or other third
party packages? There is work to get the rpmfusion supporting ARM,
this is moving forward and should be more widely available soon.

Peter