Re: Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 both hang on Dreamplug

On 10/03/2012 09:55 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Niels de Vos <devos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott@xxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
Yeah, my understanding is as well that the orion_nand module is
causing these troubles. I do not know if the DreamPlug has a NAND or
not, but loading the module is surely optional.

You can try to do the following steps:
1. add the following "kernel" parameter (it's actually dracut acting
on it): rd.driver.blacklist=orion_nand
2. create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/disable-orion_nand.conf with the
contents "blacklist orion_nand"

This should prevent the orion_nand module from getting loaded and
hopefully your DreamPlugs boot a little further.

Thank Niels, this was far more specific then I could have been.

If the problem is the orion_nand module and the nand isn't used/needed
for standard option I'll quite happily just disable it from the
config.

Peter

I can't confirm for the Sheeva or Guru's, but for the consumer variants (PogoPlug, GoflexNet, several NAS devices... etc[1]) the NAND is present and potentially usable if you don't care about preserving the stock system. I understand that this is all with the caveat that Fedora is not explicitly trying to support these derivative devices.

Would it be possible to only have the module become active when the kernel is passed certain arcNumber's from uboot? I really don't know anything about how arcNumber's are supposed to work or even if Fedora is even using them.

As a note, part of the bootargs from the uboot used on the Pogoplug and GoflexNet, there is an mtdparts argument being passed.

mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)

This is not present on Dreamplug as their is no NAND.

Just my $0.02.

--

The ARMv5 list has handful of NAS devices with NAND and are based off the Kirkwood SoC. That list is only going to grow, I know QNAP is using the kirkwood in its their entry level products.
[1]: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms

--
Scott Sullivan