Re: Probably The Hardest Task I've Been Assigned At Seneca's CDoT (or at least the one that's taken me the longest...) rasp pi v6hl status

On 09/19/2012 03:55 AM, Jon Chiappetta wrote:
So I *think* I've got a basic start on a general armv6hl hard float root
fs for Fedora. I just posted probably one of my more complicated blog
posts this far about bringing up a new arch for Fedora ARM Linux ->
http://fossjon.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/bootstrapping-fedora-arm-for-a-new-arch-v6hl/

Thanks to the help and support from the people on this list and in
channel, I've been able to get this far. My next step is to patch yum &&
rpm somehow and turn this basic root fs into a koji builder so we can
start building for v6hl off to the side for the rasp pi possibly. I
haven't done any speed tests at all yet and probably wont be able to for
a while until we get a complete image with all the packages cleanly
rebuilt -- but were really hoping this thing proves to be much faster
and a better user experience overall. The text login (multi-user) boot
up seems pretty good so far though. Anyway, I posted a screenshot up
above for proof, which is basically me just compiling a v6 binary on the
pi and running it. It's pretty cool I guess.

Well done.

It raises a couple of questions, though.

1) How much performance difference does this _actually_ make over armv5tel targeted binaries? The benchmark results I have seen from a similar Debian effort is that with the exception of A/V transcoding, the performnce difference is in the low single figure % points which is unlikely to be perceivable over and above the placebo effect to the average user.

2) Why base the mainline distribution on armv7hl instead of armv6hl if armv6hl code will run on both? (Note: I don't consider the argument of "That's what all the other distros are doing." to stand up on it's own at face value.)

Gordan