Re: Nexus 7

On 07/03/2012 03:23 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

El Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:13:09 +0100
"Richard W.M. Jones"<rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>  escribió:

I know we don't support tablets.  That's been pretty comprehensively
covered on the list already, eg:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/arm/2012-April/003107.html

But!  Suddenly a tablet appears which is both much cheaper and (in
some respects) far more powerful than the Trim Slices and BeagleBoards
that we do support.

Is it possible to support Tegra2/3 tablets, at least in a headless
configuration until there are graphics drivers?

Rich.

It should be doable,  aboot that android devices use is different to
uboot. on my ac100 ive had troubles getting an initrd loaded. i get
errors about the initramfs being corrupted.

The only time I have seen that problem was when I forgot that I excluded all compression methods except xz from the kernel, but I compressed the initrd using bzip2. Easy mistake to make and an easy thing to forget sufficiently after a few months that it has you chasing your tail for a while. Might be worth checking if that is your problem, too. :)

its also space constrained
so you have to make a host specific initramfs to fit in the 8mb limits
it places on kernel and initramfs.

8MB for the primary boot image. 5MB for the backup boot image if you are running the Android 2.1 boot loader. Very handy if you break your primary boot image. :)

5MB isn't too unreasonable, once you cut down what you are including. I know dracut has a habit of including everything plus the kitchen sink by default, and spewing out a 14MB (after compression) initramfs image, but that's just perverse. You can cut that down in half easily, and xz will get you under the 5MB limit.

you could possibly also just use the
android kernel though im not sure if that is sufficient. I know KDE has
been working on a touch interface, pretty sure gnome has also. I do
expect at some point soon we will see tablet spins show up for arm and
x86.

The OP was asking for headless, so GUI seems like very much an optional extra. I, too am quite interested in using these, headless or otherwise since they would make handy compile boxes, especially at the price they are selling at.

Gordan