Issues with ST-Ericsson powered Snowball

Aloha my fine Fedora'ed friends,

I know Peter was looking at Snowballs as devices, and thought it prudent
to let you know that we at openSUSE have run into a little issue with
them. Don't get me wrong, they're a lovely board but as with most things
in the weird universe of ARM there are un-necessary hurdles.

As it stands now, there is no framebuffer based graphics driver for the
Snowball in the upstream kernel. The only one is in the Igloo Community
git repo[0] so if like us you are using a single source for all
architectures, you may have an issue. They are working on getting KMS
support but I'm not sure how long that will take.  they are also working
on a Wayland driver which should have an alpha release soon.

The reasoning they gave for the fb driver not being upstreamed is that
the code was in a heck of a state and would not be accepted upstream,
they are also hoping to move to KMS based instead and as such are
spending their effort there rather than tidying up the mess.

Hope this helps you, and if any of you are at FOSDEM let me know it
would be good to catch up in person :-)

Regards,

Andy

--