QA: release validation for ARM, let's talk!

Hey, folks. So one of my action items coming out of FUDCon was to try
and work with you to provide a validation testing framework for Fedora
ARM releases, just like we have for the primary arch releases. We (QA
team) can't necessarily commit to performing a full set of tests for ARM
releases, but we can certainly do a best effort, and we can provide the
test cases, release criteria, and validation test pages like we do for
primary arch releases, which will provide a structure for testing.

So, I've opened a trac ticket for this:

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/277

and highlighted a few issues there. Broadly what we need to know is
_what are the things that are most important to a Fedora ARM release_:
clearly it's different from an x86 release, where our validation centers
around anaconda and the desktop. So what are the central things that
really have to work for a Fedora ARM release? Will it be a case of
ensuring images are present and bootable for a specific set of
'supported devices', for instance? What core bits of distro
functionality should be tested? Once we have that information we can
work towards creating some test cases and a validation matrix for ARM
releases. Thanks!

In case anyone's confused, I'm talking about stuff like:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_17_Alpha_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_17_Beta_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_17_Final_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Base_Test
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Desktop_Test

but for ARM. I think a few of the Installation and Base tests may be
relevant for ARM as well, but many may well not. The desktop tests are
theoretically applicable but, as I said, I think not necessarily really
what we need to be testing for ARM.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey