Re: supported hardware

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Jon Masters <jcm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 08:19 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> i think we need to come up with a list of supported hardware.
>> something like https://wiki.linaro.org/Boards and
>> http://www.linaro.org/low-cost-development-boards/ i think we should
>> support the linaro boards if the make sense. in addition we should
>> support raspberry pi and trimslice and of course the olpc XO.  while
>> we can not ship binary blobs etc for video. we should work to make the
>> experience the best possible.
>
> I agree that it is good to have a list of supported hardware. We
> discussed this during FUDCon and I believe the conclusion was that we
> would create a table of hardware divided between that which is supported
> as "first class" and other hardware options. We can then focus e.g. the
> kernel build effort on a subset of available systems to reduce build
> time (as well as the complexity of our PA push) while retaining some
> support for more exotic or less popularly requested/used hardware.

The list discussed was the Linaro boards ie Panda (ie BeagleBoard*
PanadaBoard*), and probably the other 3 (Origen, Snowball, i.MX53) but
I don't know who has any of the last 3. Add to that the Raspberry Pi
and Trimslice. The XO will be a little bit more harder to support with
mainline Fedora as it currently doesn't have all the kernel stuff
upstream and has binary blobs for X, but the OLPC images are pretty
close.

>From the ARM server perspective I think it would be useful to have all
the bits possible in Fedora to support but in the short term I have no
idea what the time frame for mainline market availability is so I
think we need to focus on what's generally available for easy support.

What about support for the various Marvell plug computers?

Peter