Re: Arm on Qualcomm 7200A

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Chris Tyler <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 16:31 -0430, Kellerman wrote:
>> Hi people, before all sorry for my bad english, I am latinoamerican
>> Ambassador, especifically in Venezuelan, I have a smartphone Huawei,
>> Model UM840. Actually is smartphone leader in Movilnet Carrier.
>>
>> My idea is: Run Fedora in um840 to promote Fedora in my country.
>>
>> um840 use a ARM11 Family processor, Qualcomm 7200A at 528Mhz with
>> 198mb RAM.
>>
>> The phone have Android OS (2.1).
>>
>> if Android is based in Linux Kernel, then I think in port Fedora Linux
>> to phone.
>>
>> but I have two problems.
>>
>> 1) I don't know a bootloader to dual boot (Android + Fedora)
>> 2) I don't know How to port Fedora 12 Arm in readable binary image for
>> smartphone.
>

> Hi Kellerman,
>
> Running a distribution on a phone can be a challenge because drivers for
> the phone component are generally not available. There are some devices
> which clearly separate the phone and non-phone sides, and it's easier to
> load your own software on that type of device.
>
> Perhaps the Fedora Meego people would have some good suggestions?

Not really, MeeGo in Fedora is only aimed at netboos and there's a LOT
of dependencies to get a complaint Fedora system that can handle the
basic things people expect of a phone. As such its not a aim of Fedora
Mobility and the MeeGo components of it.

You might want to look at MeeGo on that side of things.

That said you should be able to run Fedora on it (maybe dual boot from
a SD card) if Huawei is meeting their GPL responsibility and has
released the kernel source code. Not sure what you'll be able to do
with it though.

Peter