Re: F15 version of crash has build issues on ARM

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 06:42:35PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Niels de Vos <devos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Dennis and all,
> >
> > I tried to build crash, but unfortunately this failed. Dave Anderson
> > fixed the problem in Rawhide, can you maybe update the package for the
> > ARM F15 repo somehow?
> > - Bug 734607: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=261602
> >
> > For PPC it seems that it is acceptable to include newer packages than
> > the primary-arch Fedora release. Maybe that is possible for ARM in
> > future as well?
> >
> > I'm wondering what the best practise is to report issues like build
> > failures, an specially the ones that are fixed in a newer release. Any
> > pointers?
>
> I'd actually updated it quite a while ago to fix build issues on arm,
> it built OK on armv5tel with version 5.1.2 (not sure about hardfp) but

Ah, I'm mistaking here than... Just checked and 5.1.2 should work with
the patch that you added. It's the new gdb-7.0 that is included in
crash-5.1.7 that does not compile without warnings (with -Werror).

I was under the impression that 5.1.2 doesn't support ARM. If it does,
thats really great and I'll use that version :)

> generally I would open a bug to get a response from the maintainer
> either an "yep, I'll update it", "yep, no probs if you update it" or
> "no, I don't want it updated for reason X".

Sure, but I don't expect that maintainers update packages for only an
ARM build-issue or bugfix. It would trigger an update for all other
architectures as well, which does not make sense imho. If there is a
guideline for updating a package in a secondary architecture, without
needing to update the primary architecture, that would be a good
candidate to mention in the bug report. Most package maintainers seem to
appreciate the details on how to (test) building with arm-koji too.

Thanks,
Niels