Re: Fwd: Fedora ARM with new kernel 2.6.37 on Toshiba AC100

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 27, 2011 04:55:08 AM Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> 5) I notice you also mention the Genesi Smartbook. Do you have video
>> acceleration working on it? Last time I checked, even Genesi's default
>> Ubuntu image didn't have properly working video acceleration. Don't get
>> me wrong, the latest update I've seen is a vast improvement on what was
>> there before (now Xv is actually showing up as supported at least), but
>> it still didn't work for me for DVD image playback, let alone anything
>> in higher definition. Have you managed to get this working on Fedora?
>
> its just using fbdev. no acceleration at all. you should be able to set it up
> by getting the binary bits and building the imx xorg driver.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. And the latest software release still
runs on fbdev. But xvinfo will report that xv acceleration is in fact
available despite the Xorg log saying it's running on fbdev.

Perhaps someone clan clarify?

Can you provide a link for where the imx xorg drivers can be acquired? I
would have expected them to ship with the laptop if they were stable enough.

> Ive been meaning to blog about the filesystem.
>
> http://ausil.us/smartbook/boot.tar.bz2 is contents for a ext3 /boot
> http://ausil.us/smartbook/smartbook-rootfs-f13.tar.bz2 is the contents for a
> ext4 /
>
> its configured to boot from a sdcard.  you can install it to the internal
> storage pretty easily.  you will need to update the boot.scr file. and fstab to
> point to internal storage.  it enables the default /dev/sda3 swap on the
> smartbook.

Indeed, I'm aware of all that. The main downside of putting Fedora on it
is that a number of pretty important things are still missing (Adobe
Flash, Google Chrome, Open/Libre Office - at least the latter two are
available for ARM Ubuntu).

> the kernel is built from genesi's tree on gitorious.org
> git://gitorious.org/efikamx/linux-kernel.git

Interesting. Is there a list of specific patches that are required to be
applied to the vanilla kernel to make it work on the Efika?

Gordan