Re: Fedora 13 ARM Beta2

On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 21:10 +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:

> 2. Armv7 / VFP / NEON support to squeeze a bit more performance out
> (where appropriate to the h/w).

FWIW, I think (eventually), moving to an ARMv7 base has a lot of
benefit, with not a (lot) of drawback. After all, Fedora ARM is new
enough that there isn't a lot of legacy out there (there will always be
old ARM boards people want to use, certainly), and all of the boards now
being produced are based on Cortex (or similar) designs with v7. There
are one or two notable exceptions, but it's obvious where things are
headed. It's really just a question of /when/ to switch IMHO.

> 4. More "spreading the word" on appropriate mailing lists / groups
> that Fedora on ARM is worth using.

Actually, engaging with marketing and design, and websites, and
ambassadors, etc. are probably all good things to do too. It'd be great
if we had some logos and bumper stickers, and general buzz :)

> It's probably worth gathering some data on h/w and experiences as the
> beta progresses.  Any objections to my creating a wiki page to track
> and summarise this?

That sounds like a great idea! I'm running Fedora ARM on a bunch of
BeagleBoards, and some PandaBoards at the moment. I have a DreamPlug on
the way, and a SheevaPlug that may get re-used, but hopefully not before
I've convinced myself that ARMv7 is a good base ;)

My most fun bit of ARM hardware right now is (still) by collection of
empeg car stereos, which alas won't likely run Fedora any time soon, but
provide hours of entertainment nonetheless.

Jon.