Re: What is the best way to fix build issues with Fedora 13 RPMs?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Till Maas <opensource@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 02:45:15PM +0000, Niels de Vos wrote:
>
>> it looks like not all Fedora 13 packages can be build on ARM yet. For
>> some packages there have been tickets opened at the Trac instance:
>> - https://fedorahosted.org/arm/report/1
>>
>> I'd like to help out with building these packages, but am not a
>> 'proven packager' [1], so I can not fix the issues completely and rely
>
>> I'd like some advise on the best/efficient way forward. Any other
>> thoughts are also more than welcome!
>
> Submitting patches to Bugzilla is the recommended way for this.
>
>> Possibly I could request to become a proven packager [2], but I do not
>> know if fixing building ARM-packages is enough to get FESCo approve my
>> request.
>
> Even if you are a proven packager you should still ask the maintainer
> for approval of patches to avoid unwanted side-effects, but you can do
> the work to update the package. I do not know how much you already have
> contributed to Fedora to prove that you are a experienced packager. If
> you think it is not enough, you submit more patches using bugzilla for
> now and ask for provenpackager membership once you got more feedback
> from packagers or more patches accepted. In general helping to fix
> secondary arch build issues is a proper reason to become a proven
> packager.

That's more or less the plan I have at the moment. I'll file some more
BZ's and see if the patches get picked up.

> Btw. if there are packagers that agree to a patch you submitted but lack
> the time to update the package, you can ping me and I will help.
> Maybe this helps to speed up the patch approval. You might want to
> mention this possibility on the bug reports to get the packagers faster
> to agree. There are probably also other proven packagers here on the ARM
> list that will help with this.

That's very good to know. I'll likely come back on your offer, or
maybe I'll send an email at secondary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to see
how other architectures handle it.

Many thanks for all the input,
Niels