From: Kedar Sovani [mailto:kedars@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 15 August 2009 08:46
To: Vijay Raju
Cc: Prabhanjan Sarnaik; fedora-arm@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Windowing under Fedora_ARM (was Serial console under
Fedora_ARM)

Hi Vijay,

Cool, this is great! :-)

> The next challenge is a UI. I already have a framebuffer device
> and a
> touchscreen controller driver written and compiled into the
> kernel. I have
> never worked on any kind of UI systems or window managers and I
> am pretty
> much starting from scratch. Considering that, could you suggest
> a set of
> packages that I could use to build up a quick demo showcasing
> the LCD and
> the touchscreen.

We have managed to get the Gnome stack functional on the ARM board. Here is
a blog post that talks about that.
http://fedora-arm.blogspot.com/2009/07/fedora-arm-goes-graphical.html

You have to install the X and the Gnome package groups from the
repositories. I suppose there are a couple of packages missing from the
group, you might have to skip them manually (These are already built, just
that they haven't hit the externally published repositories yet.) A detailed
listed of steps is available here:
http://fedora-arm.blogspot.com/2009/07/steps-for-getting-x-gnome-working.htm

Once that is done you should be able to get the X going. There were a few
other problems seen when we installed a system this large a size. These are
documented in here:
http://fedora-arm.blogspot.com/2009/07/dhclient-firstboot-and-hald-woes.html

I haven't given a shot to the touch-screen interfaces though. If you are
looking for any set(s) of packages for the purpose, that aren't still in
there, do let me know.

> Warm Regards,
> Vijay Raju

Best,