Re: Fedora packages for the ARMv7 instruction set

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Ilyes Gouta <ilyes.gouta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any plan to provide Fedora packages built for the ARMv7 architecture?
>
> ARMv5TE looks a bit old but still ensures the compatibility with older
> ARM cores. However the ARMv7 instruction set improves a lot (compared
> to ARMv6) by adding support for the novel NEON instructions and
> updated VFP3, and I think that it really worth the shot. After all,
> it's all about setting up a new Qemu VM with a properly configured GCC
> compiler for the ARMv7 profile, right?
>
> Regards,
> Ilyes Gouta.

Hi Ilyes,

Couple things, considering the main people working on arm for fedora
are from Marvell and they are using Marvell boards to build the
archive, it'll probably be armv5te for awhile.  I do have a Sheevaplug
(armv5te) and at 1.2Ghz it is faster then a 500Mhz Beagleboard
(cortex-a8)...

gcc-4.3 isn't that great at march=armv7-a... Hopefully gcc-4.4 will be
the savor...

QEMU: last i checked there is not a 'armv7-a' target option, so you
can't emulate that target.  There is work in progress for an omap3
based kernel outside the main qemu development.  (it boots some
beagleboard kernels' but doesn't have support for anything other than
the dataflash memory, it really needs mmc or usbdisk emulation to be
useful for target building...)

I did build some packages at 'armv7-a' using rpmbuild on the
beagleboard, but i ended up just breaking more things since i couldn't
get mock/koji to work properly to build clean builds.  It's been put
back on hold as i'm trying to get the dsp to work for a customer.

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardFedora

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson