Re: Cross-Compilers for ARM

Manas Saksena wrote:
> Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 07:10:26PM -0700, Manas Saksena wrote:
>>
>>  > Now that we have a substantial chunk of the packages built for ARM,
>>  > I think it would be interesting to see if we can build a
>> cross-compiler
>>  > that is aligned with the native toolchain. And, at this stage, we dont
>>  > need to worry about bootstrapping gcc since we already have a glibc
>>  > available.
>>  >
>>  > I think it would be useful to bundle a cross-compiler/debugger
>> toolchain
>>  > with the release even if all the other packages are built natively. As
>>  > much of the development tends to be with the kernel and the
>>  > applications, the cross-compiler is virtually a necessity for those.
>>  >
>>  > Is anyone interested in working on that?
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply -- see:
>>

>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-June/msg02597.html
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-June/msg02739.html
>>
>> Binary i386 -> ARM packages are here:
>>
>>         http://www.wantstofly.org/~buytenh/cross/
>>

> I was wondering if it would be possible to package this up in a way that
> would be easy to install.
>
> For e.g., a cross-toolchain package, which requires all the other
> packages -- gcc, binutils, etc. (not sure how to deal with glibc in that
> context). So, you can just do:
>
> yum install cross-toolchain-arm
>
> and, you have everything you need.

Manas,

We have been experimenting with packaging our GNUPro tools as one big RPM. We're
currently holding the One-Big-RPM vs. Multiple-Not-So-Big-RPMS debate, but we
actually have built a cross toolchain and packaged it as an RPM, since you can do
that in an SRPM; if you have multiple SRPMS you have to have some synchronization
logic for the bootstrapping and we don't have that currently.

It's not aligned with the Fedora toolchain, but it's close. It's currently one
package with gcc-4.2.1, binutils-2.17 and glibc-2.6. I'm also pretty sure it's never
been built using a mock chroot, so getting all this going in koji is going to be an
"interesting" exercise. But I'm willing to give it a shot. Well, me and Brendan that
is :)

You interested?

Clark