Re: A Community Change process to mirror the System Change process

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 21:24:20 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Holcroft wrote:
> Le 2020-04-01 17:13, Ankur Sinha a écrit :
> > As you've said in your next e-mail, the idea here is not to copy the dev
> > change process, but it does serve as a rather excellent example of what
> > works.  Perhaps it can trimmed to remove the unnecessary bits: a
> > community change surely won't require FESCo discussion, for example.
>
> Hi Ankur,

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

> the question you are asking is really interesting!
> We have a clear process for what is dev focused, but nothing for community
> activities.
>
> What I don't understand, is that you say the move to Weblate would have
> benefit such a process.

I was merely giving examples of community changes that happened
recently. The intention was not to say that these changes were not
handled well. I apologise if it came across that way.

> Could you be more explicit of what you mean? It typically is a subject that
> was prepared on mailing list so we are ready for decision-making at Flock,
> then council for funding, then a change process, have a tracking page and
> receive regular updates on community blog. We had a GO/NOGO on translator
> mailing list with an unanimous agreement.

> If this isn't sufficient for community, then I don't know what can be done.
> I followed the System Change process, and to be honest, it is time consuming
> but worked fine.

Exactly. So, even though it was a community change, you ended up using
the System Change process---because no community change process is
currently in place.

> I feel like the list of examples you gave requires more details to
> understand the issues to solve.
> The community may understand the reasons to have some subjects moving fast
> with a limited team, while other requires more communication for people to
> understand the reasoning behind it.
>
> Is the global issue more related to decision-making or to change management?

It is both. All community changes would benefit from a defined
process/method/system/whatever we call it. In general, while the primary
stakeholders are the ones that make the decisions in any changes, the
idea is that the community as a whole should be aware, and have the
chance to either participate in the change if they feel they have the
necessary know-how or simply prepare themselves by learning the new
processes/tools that they may need to work with in the future.

(I was not involved in the Weblate change at all. My only stake in the
process was to be aware that we were moving to a new platform so that if
newcomers came to the Fedora-Join SIG who were interested in
translation, I knew where to point them.)

--
Thanks,
Regards,