Re: [social-media] What about Mastodon?

Hi Alessio,

On 1/12/20 6:15 PM, Alessio wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I submitted this idea to the marketing team some time ago [1]
>
> What do you think to have a Fedora presence on the Fediverse?
> I'm not an expert, but it is now a mature technology, and no more an
> hype. Many people started using Mastodon, in many cases with the intent
> to leave the mainstream social medias.
> I have not statistical data, but, looking around, a lot of these people
> are concerned about privacy, freedom and digital rights, they are free
> software supporters, and they are critical versus the overwhelm power
> of the big giants of the internet.
>
> There were some toughts about running a Fedora instance [2], but maybe
> it is not useful, it whould be an high energy expenditure; however this
> is not the point of this mail.
>
> What I'm talking about is a profile on the fediverse.
> We are on twitter, we are on facebook, youtube, instagram. Why not on a
> social network that is powered by an open source software, and where
> there are many free software supporters?
>
> Gnome is there https://floss.social/@gnome
> Fosdem is there https://fosstodon.org/@fosdem
> Opensuse is there https://fosstodon.org/@opensuse
> Gentoo https://fosstodon.org/@gentoo
> Ubuntu (that runs his own instance) https://ubuntu.social/@ubuntu
> KDE https://mastodon.technology/@kde
> And many other FOSS projects and communities.
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] https://pagure.io/fedora-marketing/issue/286
> [2] https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-in-fediverse/1168

I think this is a tough issue for the volunteer community to take a lead
on, even if the interest is there.

To add historical context, we did discuss Mastodon at some point in the
last couple years—I forget exactly when. There was no opposition to a
Mastodon as a concept, but it was more an issue of who manages it.
Most/all of Fedora's social media accounts are managed by Red Hat
employees in RH's Open Source Program Office, with some volunteers on a
few accounts.

When it was last proposed, the discussion faded out because the folks
managing Fedora's social media account were concerned there were already
many platforms to cover and things would get dropped. For example, we
used to have profiles on GNU Social and Diaspora, but I'm not sure if
they were actively maintained.

Account permissions and privileges is an issue still faced by Fedora's
other social media accounts too. See these Mindshare tickets for more
context:

    https://pagure.io/mindshare/issue/138

    https://pagure.io/mindshare/issue/139

- Justin