Re: A Big Idea for a New Decade [was: Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-12-18 Meeting]

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 7:11 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I'm more concerned about is that if you eliminate Fedora from any
> meaningful server based development, you strip all the opportunities
> for people to iterate on server-oriented changes before they go into
> rhel-rawhide and push into CentOS Stream. You also essentially kneecap
> any motivation for other things related to server environments to
> iterate faster (such as language stacks that are heavily used for web
> service software) because you've eliminated the major ability for that
> to ship to users and contributors. It also further accelerates a trend
> that I think we need to reverse where people consider Fedora
> unacceptable for server roles. If anything, Fedora is a lot better at
> being used for servers then it was five years ago. I've personally
> *stopped* using CentOS for servers because Fedora has gotten so good
> at it. Upgrades are a breeze and stuff generally works. When it
> doesn't, it's fixable! That last part is key. With CentOS, it's not,
> because it has to bounce back into Red Hat first. And Red Hat doesn't
> really care about issues discovered by CentOS users, and there are no
> "CentOS developers".
>

> So, what this long email is actually saying is that I think it's an
> interesting idea to bring the two projects together, but eliminating
> aspects of Fedora in favor of CentOS is premature because CentOS has
> not actually developed as a community project. Maybe it's worth
> revisiting after six years of actual community development?

I don't think Matthew suggested that we'd stop development of server
technologies in Fedora. I think he was saying that we'd drop the
"Fedora Server Edition" as a user-targeted deliverable. This is an
important distinction. We'd instead focus on server technology
development atop the container and Fedora Cloud Edition use-cases.