Re: [Mindshare] Re: [marketing] Talking points and the future of talking points

Justin,

Thanks for the well-considered reply. I'm going to reply out of order
delete a lot of quote for readability's sake, but I hope I address the
main substance.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:05 PM Justin W. Flory <jflory7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One way to generate more ideas is to consider asking Ambassadors /
> Advocates how they keep up with Fedora news today. Have we ever asked
> our contributor community this? What if we designed a short
> questionnaire to help inform a better strategy to guide the Marketing
> Team's work and get the most value out of volunteer contributor time?

I'm not aware of such a survey, but I'm not sure we even need to go to
that length initially. If someone can step forward and say "I use the
Talking Points in this way" then that's something to start with. It's
not currently clear that anyone is consuming the talking points.

> The Marketing Team needs external support to be more relevant in Fedora
> today. This guidance could take form of evaluating ways to better return
> on value of volunteer time.

Yes and no. The team does need external support, but I don't think
guidance about how to better use volunteer time is very useful until
we have volunteer time to spend. Eduard, Alberto, and others have done
great work, but from what I can tell, haven't been able to devote much
time for the last few months. The lack of meetings, mailing list
traffic, and ticket traffic say to me that we don't really have any
volunteer timne to spend. A better starting point for Mindshare to
provide support would be to help recruit more contributors to the
team.

> For example, what if instead of producing wiki page talking points, we
> shifted to Fedora Magazine "feature profiles" that hinted at what is
> coming in the next Fedora release?

That might work, assuming we have people to work on them. (Arguably, a
change in focus might make contribution more appealing). But that's a
more public-facing deliverable, whereas the the talking points are
geared largely toward "internal" audiences. So we can discuss the
relative priorities of the two tasks, but it's not really a matter of
one replacing another.

> I agree that this work is useful but I disagree that it should be the
> responsibility of the Marketing Team to push this work. I believe this
> role should be taken by the Mindshare Committee.
>    (deletia)
>What and how does the Marketing
> Team need to communicate to the Design Team for this to happen and for
> the work to be utilized by Ambassadors / Advocates?

Assuming "this work" refers to the internal Red Hat ad section you
replied to, I disagree with your disagreement. Mindshare should be
setting the overall strategy, but the decision about what words should
go on the ad — and sending that along to the design team — should
belong with the marketing team. We can start with marketing opening a
design ticket, since that's how the design team has said they like to
work. If at some point Mindshare decides they want it to work another
way, then that's fine, but this seems like something that marketing
and design can agree on together.

--
Ben Cotton
Fedora Program Manager