Packager Experience objective proposal

Hello,

Following a discussion [1] on the devel list, Till encouraged me to
propose a "packager experience" (or possibly "packager quality of
life") Community objective to the Council.

Basically, the goal of this objective would be to organize people to
work on various annoyances (be they minor or major) that currently
exist in the packager workflow. This probably involves creating a new
SIG or WG focused on improving the packager workflow-- identifying
problems and figuring out solutions (likely by contributing to various
tools and other projects in the packaging pipeline like fedpkg, or
Koji/Bodhi/Pagure/etc.).

My understanding of the Objective proposal process here is that I
create a draft page on the wiki and then start a discussion on this
list, so I thought I would do just that. Here is a very early draft I
wrote on the wiki:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Packager_Experience

I only recorded three issues on the wiki draft-- all to do with the
retiring of pkgdb2, as that's what started this discussion. But I'm
sure I can come up with more, and I'm equally sure the community would
as well once we started a discussion. (I think, for example, that
improving the package review process might also be something in the
scope of this objective).

These problems might seem a bit small, or minor, to be worthy of a
Community Objective to fix them, but I think that's part of the
problem-- something like having to manually request Pagure API keys to
create new packages (this was what the linked discussion on the devel
list was about) might only be a minor annoyance, but that means it
doesn't get attention, while bigger, more urgent things do. If we
could collect a list of such minor annoyances and set up a plan to fix
them-- and also set up a group or process responsible for fixing
similar issues as they crop up in the future-- I think it would do a
lot to improve the overall experience of packaging software in Fedora.

Thanks for your consideration!

Sincerely,
Ben Rosser

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/FYNU7W6KQQWA65JWVPUFDHKUP3RX6EKR/