Re: Subproject report for July 12th?

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Radka Janekova <radka.janek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> > Telegram, even unsupported, should definitely be considered by our Marketing group.  For if we know of an active channel we should be considering its impact.  We may also want to, perhaps for marketing reasons, perhaps for reasons you are outlining, consider adding additional official channels.
>
> That's probably closer to what I mean, Telegram-only should not be mentioned. If we want to talk about user-communities, then lets talk about all of them, lets not just pick one.
>
> > I believe you can create a more tailored definition about who you are trying to target and how you plan to help them.  From that we can consider the idea.  Your "regular user" as defined above includes gourmet chefs and rocket scientists.  They have two different sets of needs.  How do you plan to serve them?
>
> Well I'm talking about user communities in general, to give specific examples (!my subjective opinion!)
> * Discord - popular gaming text/voice chat, popular in specific ages from teenagers to fresh graduates. Great to catch some students and graduates entering their professional lives as developers (I've recruited even a few Fedora contributors on Discord within it's short lifetime already, with already visible contribution)
> * Telegram - a bit wider audience than Discord but not that far off when it comes to age. Definitely less gamers.
> * Reddit - likely older users than the above, not just students anymore.
> * Matrix (riot.im) - floss enthusiasts who do not like the above options, but prefer good multiplatform solution over raw IRC
> * Mattermost (it's like open source slack) - no Idea as we don't have one running - yet (redhatters can join it at chat.openshift.io which should go public soonTM, if I understand it correctly)
>
> So to sum it up, most of these have audience of future or early developer at least to some degree, where Telegram would be the most general.
>
> > how does what your proposing go beyond what we do now officially?
>
> The problem is that people don't know that these exist. I'm proposing a bit of official support in the form of more visibility - sub-page linked from getfedora, visibly linked that is... Magazine article that I could write, introducing all the communities (we should also mention forums, askfedora, irc, fedoracommunity.org etc...) and tweet / facebook post about it, etc...

That concern I have is that by highlighting these communities, we set
an expectation that the Fedora project actually participates and
actively uses them for doing Fedora development/work.  You listed 11
communities.  Significantly active contributors are not going to be on
all 11.  That's just too much spread.  We'd begin to suffer from too
much information split, etc.

So what did you have in mind for highlighting these?  Some amount of
explanation and expectation setting would be required at a minimum.

josh