Re: Mission: Recap, reflections, next steps [was Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission]

On 28 April 2017 at 10:39, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Lights up"
> ==========
>
> People reacted strongly to this. I'm not surprised — but, personally, I
> still kinda like it. Sure, it's jargon, but I don't think the metaphor
> is hard to understand. And, I didn't hear an alternative better than
> "enables", which feels particularly weak to me. This isn't the hill I
> plan to die on, though, if everyone hates it. I'd still love to hear
> something more interesting than "enables".

I personally like enables. The reason being that we are going to use
this phrase for 5 years.. every day and jargon rarely ages well. [As
of 2 weeks ago "lights up" seemed to mean this meme when I asked some
people http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/expanding-brain which was "old"
by the time I asked it.] But in any case jargon that lights up the
neurons usually becomes the "Oh my lord, that old chestnut?" {to use
my edwardian jingoism} soon after. Using plain boring language of
enables makes sure that if lights up goes from brains expanding to
burning down projects in 6 months.. we aren't scrambling to say "no no
we don't mean we want to kill all baby kittens because that is what
you think it means today"

> Platform vs. Platforms / "Supports an Ecosystem"
>
> There was some discussion about whether we build _a_ platform or
> multiple platforms. And, related, some of the earliest comments were
> about an ecosystem emphasis. I think the above section actually
> addresses this — a platform with an ecosystem is exactly the intent,
> and I really think the draft as proposed carries that well. I'd very
> much welcome help with additional supplemental and explanatory
> material, though.

My love of platforms is no hill to die on either.. so I can go with
that term :).

Thank you for the counter-feedback.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.