Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

On 01/29/2017 03:04 AM, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2017, at 06:17 AM, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
>> Look at other communities like Debian (that organized a very successful
>> DebConf in Nicaragua in 2012) and OpenSUSE for reference.
>
> Can you provide more details on the these conferences and why you think
> they were successes?  This will help readers who are not as familiar
> with the workings of these two communities.

I do not know too much about openSUSE, but I can say a bit about Debian
Conference. It's Debian developers' conference. It's taken place in a
variety of places from around the world. They also have Mini-DebConfs
which are local meetings organized by Debian project members to achieve
similar objectives to those of the DebConf, but on a regional context.

I share the feeling that excluding LATAM and APAC from the possible
locations for Flock poses an unfair disadvantage for contributors from
these regions to have an impact in the community, and jeopardizes the
goals of the Fedora Project because very talented people are left out.

Having Flock only in EMEA and NA does not necessarily mean it's cheaper
overall. In fact, given the cost of life in many LATAM countries is
significantly lower than in other developed countries, the costs of
logistics (apart from travel costs, ie. venue, lodging…) are more
favourable. And when it comes to travel grants, I think contributors who
really need sponsorship to make it to the conference are very likely to
come from LATAM and APAC, and those who can afford to travel are likely
to come from NA and EMEA.

I am very disappointed with the current situation of the premier Fedora
events. Honestly it discourages me to participate in a project that
segregates contributors and treats me like a second-class citizen who
has to settle for a second-class conference.

I do not have any objective metrics on DebConf12 Managua's success, but
I can say that I am proud of the work that our local free software
community in Nicaragua has put into this event and Software Freedom Day
that has been awarded twice as best event worldwide (2007 and 2008). I
am sure that their goal of Motivate the local community was achieved.

Eduardo

¹ https://debconf.org/goals.shtml