Re: Request about list settings

On 09/08/2016 04:48 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Would it be fair to request that the default action when hitting reply (not
emailing the list? IIRC this is a per-list mailman setting.

I second the suggestion. It's easier to resend an email that should
have gone to-list than to unsend an email that should have remained
private. I wouldn't have guessed Máirín's original message was
intended to be private had she not said anything, but the next
accidental reply may not be as fit for public viewing.

To me, this seems like more of a question about clients people are using. For me in Thunderbird, it's an easy difference between "Reply" and "Reply list". I think it would make sense for a reply to go directly to the sender and not the list. But I'm not sure if this is how other clients render / display it.

But even then, I guess the worst case, like you said, is a public email accidentally goes private, and you can resend it publicly, as long as the person is aware that they did so. It still stands that this could be confusing for someone who isn't familiar with mailing lists or is using an email client / web portal that isn't friendly with mailing lists.

Just my 2¢ for consideration.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory