Fedora's "growth model"

This came up in our Council meeting yesterday¹. Specifically, the
suggestion:

  "Growth Model for the Fedora Project. What is it? Do we have one? There
   was a fair amount of feedback stating that without specifcs. There is
   NO plan"²

So, there *is* a plan, with several components. Since the first Flock
in Charleston, much of it has been under the "Fedora.next" umbrella.³ I
feel like we've talked about it quite a lot, but I'm definitely happy
to do more.

The _basic_ strategy FESCo and the (pre-Council) Board chose is what we
now call "Three Editions". Rather than pushing Fedora as an amorphous
operating system which doesn't necessarily fit any purpose specifically
but which can be good for anything, we decided to intentionally create
three targetted editions. This doesn't mean that the Fedora OS we're
all familiar with is anything less, but to concentrate our marketing
and "selling"⁴ efforts around specific areas. We don't give up on
everything else — but we *really* win in these places, and then grow
out from there.

At and after Charleston, the rough idea was that we needed something
technical-user desktopy, something servery, and something
emerging-modely (which, in 2013, definitely meant _cloudy_). We asked
volunteer groups with interest in these particular areas to identify a
target subset of that area to aim for. And from that, we arrived at:

* Fedora Workstation: Here, the target is software developers — not
  of Fedora, but as end-users.⁵

* Fedora Server: Linux server with push-button deploy of preconfigured
  best-practices setups for specific tasks.⁶

* Fedora Cloud: a base platform for building scale-out cloud computing
  applications (as opposed to the many other buzzwordy uses of
  "cloud").⁷

We're probably going to replace Fedora Cloud with Fedora Atomic Host,
because we _weren't_ really succeeding in growth with that one. (Fedora
Cloud base image won't go away; it just won't be the focus from this
"growth plan" perspective.)

So, Three-Editions is the basic strategy for the OS we produce — which
is the primary activity through which we aim for our mission. But it's
not all on the making-an-OS side. We also have two other "Objectives"⁸
on deck which are related to growth.

The first is the University Involvement Initiative⁹, which didn't get
much traction this year but which Remy is planning to revitalize for
the next one. This calls for user and contributor growth specifically
on campus.

The second is in draft form — and has basically been waiting for us to
work through the budget stuff to give us time to talk more. This is
Fedora Python Marketing¹⁰. While Fedora Workstation focuses on
developers, this idea is to aim some resources even more narrowly and
to promote Fedora specifically as the distro-of-choice in the Python
community over the next year. Again, the goal isn't for Fedora to end
up as Python-specific, but to build that base (and to build on the
already strong Python connections we have) to grow from.

And, here is perhaps the most important thing. The Council has slots
for 2 to 4 objectives like this at a time. Sometimes these will be
technical (like Modularization¹¹), but I think it's good for us
generally to have at least one focused on user and/or contributor
growth at all times. Each objective comes with a 12-18 month lifespan,
so we can judge how each worked, and figure out something even better
for the next time. So, we don't just have some short-term plans, but
also an engine for continuous reexamination and mid-range planning.

Notes and links:

1. https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2016-05-09/council.2016-05-09-18.00.html

2. From Mark Terranova (Hi Mark!), but this message isn't really to him
only

3. From 2014, see: https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-present-and-future-a-fedora-next-2014-update-part-i-why/

4. In the metaphorical sense — we're absolutely not and will not be
literally selling anything.

5. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD

6. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Product_Requirements_Document

7. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Cloud_PRD

8. What's a capital-letter-O "Objective?" see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Council#Objective_Leads

9. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/University_Involvement_Initiative

10. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Fedora_Marketing_Python

11. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Fedora_Modularization,_Prototype_Phase