Re: Followups from Council phone call monday — Budget discussion for this year and beyond

I am sorry to use top posting, but feel awkward to start commenting bit
 here and there. I completely agree with Máirín.

My feeling is that moving from Linux events where everybody has already
engaged with their distro or project has been not that productive.
There are few examples brought up to say that we in fact get new
contributors at linux fest. To me only shows how little impact we have.

I like how Matthew called these events as token events (I heard him
saying that in Flock 2014). Events that Fedora should be present but
not make a big investment.

Looking to move out of the box, has been discussed since Marketing FAD
in Raleigh 2010 and FUDCon Tempe 2011. Every collaborator that I speak
to for about two minutes comes around the same conclusion.

I think that we have been talking a lot about this, but have done too
little to bring people on board from ambassadors and other people
submitting ideas for participating in events. Convince them that they
should look elsewhere to promote Fedora. This is where I think we (me
included) have failed.

This does not mean that Fedora should stop participating in events
where it can enable upstream collaboration.That is not expanding user
base or recruiting collaborators.

So, as a flat organization, it is hard to get a message from one point
to another. We need to really push this harder. New people becoming
ambassadors have the ideas of what they have seen fedora done in the
past, so they expect to do that. We need to tell them to move out of
the box.

So, if this is the way to go, we have to budget differently to enable
people go to show fedora in other arenas outside our comfort zone.

Neville