Re: RFC: draft of new privacy policy

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 03:00:26PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 15:44:47 -0400,
>  "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >I believe there was an instance in the distant past where an
> >open-source friendly sociological researcher used aggregated community
> >data to produce a report.  IIRC she had access to PII in order to
> >aggregate and compile the data, but the output report (being
> >aggregated) could not be used to identify anyone.  This would be
> >similar to the "State of Fedora" case that Máirín raised.
>
> That is a dangerous claim to make. Aggregated data is not as safe from
> analysis as many people assume.

OK, fair enough, but the argument isn't based on difficulty.  Third
parties must pass the reasonable gate of approval by community
leadership groups and people before getting said access.  And that
grant would be based in part on the intended output.  This clause of
the Privacy Policy hasn't changed, and still doesn't grant blanket or
unfettered access to any third party.