Re: Board reorganization proposal

> Wow, it got kind of quiet in here. Sorry for the delay — between F21 Alpha
> and the bash vulnerability, it's been a busy week. But let's get back to the
> big issue!

Well, for the quiet part we were waiting for your draft :)

> I can see a large open map of possible ways to go forward, but here's my
> suggestion for what I think is best. I've tried to take into account the
> concerns noted in the previous board ticket¹. Let me know if there are big
> areas that seem to be missing and we'll work those out. I know we need an
> official document on consensus process and how exactly that will work;
> that's a next step. Like everything we do, it's okay if we don't get all of
> the details right at first; we can always refine.
>

> As we've discussed, it's really hard to represent the entire sprawl of the
> project on a board with a limited number of seats. In addition to the
> representative seats we've talked about, I want to have two to four members
> each actively connected to an 18-month goal; for example:
>
> - Fedora.next products (Marketing + WGs + QA + Metrics)
> - Fedora.next rings (Base WG + Env & Stacks + RelEng)
> - Automate all the things (QA + RelEng + Infrastructure)
> - Improved project communication (CWG + Design + Hyperkitty)

Sounds fair

> These are example goals (although not completely arbitrary). Here, the
> person selected would be actively driving and coordinating each thing. The
> parenthetical groups are non-exclusive examples of areas of the project each
> "objective lead" would work with.
>
> These would be relatively high-load roles — this is where we really get into
> reducing stress on the FPL. In most cases, it shouldn't be hard to find
> someone, as these should generally represent big ongoing effort in the
> project anyway. Sometimes, though, there may be something which we all agree
> is a good idea but no one has made their focus — as Eric was saying, if we
> only draw people from things we're already doing, it's hard to do new
> things.
>
> In any case, these would be focused on specific goals, and once each goal is
> met, changed for a new position reflecting a new community goal. They would
> be more than just advisory members, but their votes would only be binding in
> areas related to their objectives.

This is probably the big turn in Fedora Project, having project-level
goals and giving ourselves the tools to reach these goals.
It enables us to talk about strategic planning and expect outcomes.

I'd rather explicitly tie these goals to a 3 releases term, rather
than 18 months.
Since schedules may slip, explicit is better than implicit.

> Then, we want to have representative seats, as we've been discussing. I
> propose four:
>
> - Engineering (representing FESCo, QA, RelEng, Infrastructure, WGs, FPC, etc.)
> - Outreach (representing FAmSCo, regions, Marketing, etc.)
> - Elected (at large)
> - Elected (at large)

Ok

> The engineering and outreach members would be selected by the people active
> in those areas (probably FESCo and FAmSCo, as the existing steering
> committees for each). One seat covers a very broad area, because that's the
> only way to keep the numbers small. The responsibility would be to represent
> those groups collectively, _not_ to be an individual voice that happens to
> be voted-in by some subset of Fedora. Representatives of more specific
> groups would be encouraged to participate in discussion, but only these
> positions would have a final binding vote. (We could formalize these as
> "auxiliary members" as Christoph suggests; my preference is to keep it
> informal.)

*nods*
It is important that these representatives actively participate in discussions
upstream.

> The elected positions cover Fedora's subprojects not under the engineering
> or outreach banners (docs, l10n, etc.), and the community at large. I don't
> see a better way of representing the groups that don't fall neatly under
> "building the distro" and "building the userbase" while keeping the number
> of seats to a level which feels functional.
>

> Finally, we would keep a few formalized appointed positions. Overall,
> this can be thought of as just reframing the currently-appointed board
> positions as connected to specific named roles:
>
> - Fedora Program Manager (FPgM)
> - Community Action and Impact
> - Diversity Advisor
> - Fedora Project Leader
>
> The FPgM is something that we actually have already, and which we actually
> depend on a lot for getting releases out the door, so I agree with Jaroslav
> (the current FPgM) that it would be nice to formalize that role within
> Fedora itself.

I'm not keen of *formally* tying more seats to more Red Hat positions.
But with 12 members, that only affect 1/3 of the board,  the other 2/3
are either representatives or elected seats so I'm willing to try
(consider this as a +0)

> Community Action & Impact is a new one — Red Hat's Open Source and Standards
> group is interested in funding a new full-time position to lead initiatives
> to grow the Fedora user and developer communities, and to make Red Hat /
> Fedora interactions even more transparent and positive. The Fedora community
> budget comes to us through OSAS, and this position will facilitate
> decision-making on how to best focus that to meet our collective objectives.

*nods*

> The diversity advisor role also doesn't currently exist, but it's an area
> where we have a lot of work to do, so I would like to see it exist. (And I
> think it's much bigger than an 18-month objective.)

+1
I would strongly advise not making it a formal position within Red Hat
(even better someone outside the fp.o) but bringing someone with a
proven track in that field.
Why ? An external POV would help us to identify our weak points and
how to improve them. Besides, that would avoid bias.

Of course, that would require leverage from Red Hat but I see a close
collaboration with the new Community Action & Impact role about it.

> And the FPL... that's me. I'd still like to stay involved. :)

Well, you had no choice in the first place :>

> Overall, we wouldn't be meeting-driven, although we would probably have
> semi-regular meetings in order to discuss what's going on and to clear
> through anything outstanding which can be quickly resolved. We might make
> the regular Monday meeting into "office hours", instead. All members would
> be expected to regularly communicate what's going on in their area, through
> blog posts or other public updates. We'd use the lazy consensus model
> extensively, with strong expectations for communicating about decisions or
> plans that might affect others.

+1
My expectations about the new leadership body:
* communicate with Fedora
* proactively identify issues and bringing solutions (DON'T wait meetings)
* represent your groups, not only your own opinions
* be part of the gig
* care about the project, care about the people

Regards,
H.