Re: representative council roles [was Re: [board] #9: board vote on reorganization proposals]

Am Donnerstag, den 11.09.2014, 09:36 -0400 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> [...]
> > be an open group. Groups should be able to send representatives when
> > they feel they need a liaison with the rest of the rest of the Fedora
> > Project.
> >
> > Therefor I wanted it to not be limited to the big projects such as
> > packagers and ambassadors, which may or may not already have their own
> > bodies, but open for every little SIG or WG.
> >
> > During my presentation at FUDCon Blacksburg [1] Dave then brought up the
> > issue of scalability and I think he has an important point. Imagine we
> > have representatives of 20 groups and each of them just talks for 3
> > minutes...
> >
> > So I think the size of the group should be somehow limited, at least if
> > we decide to have regular phone or IRC meetings. If we go for the lazy
> > consensus however, we are probably able to handle more people.
> >
> > This being said we should have permanent members for the biggest and
> > most important groups but also be able to invite representatives from
> > other groups if necessary.
> >
> > Say we had a group of 9 permanent members I propose the following
> > permanent representatives (in no particular order)
> >      1. Workstation WG
> >      2. Server WG
> >      3. Cloud WG
> >      4. FESCo
> >      5. FAmSCO
> >      6. QA
> >      7. Infrastructure
> >      8. Release Engineering
> >      9. Marketing
> >
> > And of course the FPL.
> >
> > If you are wondering why marketing is in here and think it's
> > over-represented: I think we definitely want the marketing team to
> > become more important.
> >
> > Auxiliary members:
> >       * Design
> >       * Docs
> >       * L10n
> >       * FPC
> >       * Spins
> >       * Websites
> >       * ...
> >
> > Some of these are already represented as sub-projects of other permanent
> > members, e.g. websites is already (kind of) represented by
> > infrastructure, but it might be necessary get in touch with somebody
> > directly to get shit done.

> > something similar to the release readiness meetings. All relevant
> > stakeholders should have a representative.
> > For the auxiliary members, ideally we would have a liaison to every
> > single group out there and be able to contact them whenever we feel it
> > is necessary. And of course they should already be able to contact the
> > council at any given point in time.
> >
> > Questions, comments, rants?
>
> I'm generally agreeable to all of this.  It matches much of what I had
> in my head when I re-proposed your idea independently.  I particularly
> like the idea of fixed members from major groups, with the ability to
> pull in additional people in advisory roles when needed.  Those
> advisers don't even need to be from a SIG, but could be subject matter

+1

As Jaroslav said, the problem is probably not decision making but
communicating. I want us to have liaisons to every relevant group.

> Initially I was concerned about the product WG seat suggestions
> because "what happens if we add another Product?"  However, I think
> that immediately becomes part of the conversation around adding a new
> product when it is proposed.  It adds one more factor for
> consideration, etc.  I think that will help with some of the clarity
> on what it takes to be an official product.

Right. If it turns our a product, project of any other group plays a
really important role in our community, we should be able to give them a
permanent seat. On the other hand, some projects might become less
important or might just not need a steady contact to us. We have no idea
how exactly Fedora will look like in 5 years, so I want a flexible and
open design that can easily be adjusted.

> Of the 9 permanent seats you have listed, the only one I have
> reservations about is Release Engineering.  I agree they're a major
> player and should have a seat, but Dennis seems to be overloaded on a
> regular basis and I don't want to add one more thing to his plate.

That was exactly my thought, too.

> Perhaps the rel-eng group could come up with another representative to
> help spread the load.

+1

It's really great to see we agree so much. Obviously I'm not totally
insane. ;)

Best regards,
Christoph