Re: FW: On Fedora's Localization platform

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Eric H. Christensen
<sparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since this was kind of addressed to the Board (in the conversation) I figured I'd pass it along here so we could discuss it further.
>
> - --Eric
>
> - ----- Forwarded message from Dimitris Glezos <glezos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 13:17:25 +0300
> From: Dimitris Glezos <glezos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Fedora Infrastructure <infrastructure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: For participants of the Documentation Project <docs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fedora Translation Project List
>         <trans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: On Fedora's Localization platform
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'll share some of my thoughts at this point.
>

> *GIST*
>
>    - *Freedom* is more than just access to a tarball. What kinds of Freedom
>    is Fedora enjoying and giving up by using a platform like Transifex or
>    GitHub?
>       - What is the *Board's position* about using non-open-source but
>       open-friendly services? How much should we sacrifice to only run
>       open-source on our servers?

The Board hasn't answered this specific question, but it did recently
reject a proposal to allow third party repositories to be searched for
non-free software.  That decision possibly somewhat contradicts giving
TM approval to various Fedora groups hosting their code on github
(including Fedora Infrastructure).  It's inconsistent at best.  I
think this specific question is a great one for the Board to tackle
regardless of any Transifex discussions.

josh