User Survey

To follow up on today's Board meeting discussion regarding the user survey, I've got an install of LimeSurvey working and am playing with the logic to build the questions and answers.  There are a few things to consider when creating this type of survey and I wanted to get input from everyone.

Public or Directed?
- -------------------
We can either make the survey open to the public or we can directly email people an invitation to take the survey.  There are pros and cons to each but here are my thoughts on the subject.

A public survey will likely include people that are users of Fedora that aren't contributors.  That's okay because we assume that not all Fedora users have signed up in FAS (where our directed survey data comes from).  This, of course, also opens the door to non-Fedora users and people that don't have anything better to do with their day than to screw around online.

A directed survey would be sent to the ~9500 people that have signed up in FAS.  They would receive a more personalized letter via email (perhaps in their native language if we can swing that) and we would be able to track the responses (i.e. what percentage of contributors have completed the survey).  This type of survey would limit our audience to only those that have a FAS account.  I guess we could do a campaign before the survey to have users sign up for a FAS account so we can get a survey to them.

Personally, I'd prefer to do a directed survey as we can do a more scientific analysis of the results.  This will also hopefully reduce the amount of junk responses.

Translations
- ------------
I'm still trying to figure out the translation portion of LimeSurvey but it appears like it's definitely a possibility.  It doesn't look like I can export a POT file and import PO files but I will definitely ask.  It does look like I can allow translators access to the survey and they can translate the questions and answers.  I'll need to work with the translators closely on this, though.

Questions
- ---------
What do we need/want to know?  I've started a wiki page[0] where we can collect questions and I can start putting together the logic.  I'd appreciate if people would start putting their questions there so I can start building this thing.

Hosting
- -------
I mentioned today that I use a web hosting provider that allows LimeSurvey installs (actually makes it easy to deploy LimeSurvey).  I have no problems hosting this thing and will happily give others admin access so they can audit the results and have access to the system during the survey.  The other solution that Robyn mentioned was cutting a check to LimeSurvey to have them host the survey.  Personally I just assume do it myself where we'll have more control over the data.

In the past we wanted to have Infra host this software internally but we've never gotten the software completely packaged (I hear it's a bear).

Other things?
Have I missed anything here?  Anyone have any other concerns?

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_User_Survey_Questions

- -- Eric

Eric "Sparks" Christensen
Fedora Project - Red Hat

sparks@xxxxxxxxxx - sparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
097C 82C3 52DF C64A 50C2  E3A3 8076 ABDE 024B B3D1