Re: Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

2012/7/24 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 21:21 +0200, Antonio Trande wrote:

> what do you think about this ?
> It's just an idea, written quickly.

While I think the idea of a rule imposing a series is brilliant, two
concerns here:

- Emperors as a theme - in a post-colonial world I think it might be a
bit insensitive to elevate imperialism. Topically, I think free software
is diametrically opposed to 'imperialism' in the form of a single
central entity pushing out proprietary software. I also think that for a
global project, we shouldn't fixate on any one region - the Roman
empire, while encompassing quite a large range, was not global and was
rather Euro-centric.

Surely i didn't think to the "imperialism" when i proposed these names least of all to 'Euro-centric' issues.
However Fedora (like Debian or Arch) is a main distro with many 'derivated distributions' so there is a little of  "imperialism" in it. :)

- If we use an ordered series for a theme, there is no theme voting each
release. While I've gotten to the point in my life where I strongly
believe more constructive things could be done with the time and
resources put into voting for names every release, I think the majority
of folks who care would be upset about not getting to vote every
release.

In the pdf, voting is scheduled

Can you think of some alternative to emperors that has a logical
progression and order? Famous mathematical/scientific constants maybe??

None at the moment but your answer leads me to think to the worldwide freedom by Fedora. Therefore maximum freedom: at every Fedora release, a community (indian, brazilian, italian, US, ...) one by one chooses a name  for Fedora related to the release number.
This can be done by vote.

--
Antonio Trande
"Fedora Ambassador"