Re: Endorsement of https://github.com/fedoraproject

On 02/01/2012 04:58 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
However even if a packager can't get upstream commit access they can still
keep a local checkout of the upstream repo and use that for both creating
patches for Fedora and for sending patches back upstream (either having
thir own git server or emailing patches created using git).
I've been working with several github projects and I believe the
preferred method (if the patches are upstreamable) is to create a fork
of the github project, create a branch in your fork, and then do a
pull request to get upstream to evaluate your patch. It's a little
convoluted, especially if you haven't acclimated to the way git works,
but it does work well.

Richard

True.

Non-upstreamable patches like https://github.com/fedoraproject/jboss-as/commit/7aa8fee7fb6b50270dc8b95be9c1ba08e579b3ad however still require collaboration. Both in terms of evaluating functional loss by upstream developers (in this case it's a minor thing) and further enhancement by packagers.

Carlo