Re: My Board member task: Fix the Feature Process

On 01/26/2012 03:50 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
These and other problems were collected by rbergeron and other impacted
Fedora contributors on:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fixing_features

I'll be working on taking those identified problems and turning out a new
Feature Policy that FESCo can approve which addresses those issues.

Fixing the feature process is not enough you need to fix the orphaning/package removal process as well so those of us that are working on features aren't working on and wasting our time on packages that a) aren't being maintained b) are scheduled to be removed, both of which slow down and even hinder feature completion.

Arguably the package need to be removed or with a maintainer(s) when a new development cycle begins.

To give you an example of how much a problem this is...

In F15/F16 we had 50 components that had submitted units for them each of which that have at least an half hour spent in migration that just got stuck in bugzilla.

During this development cycle there have been submitted units for additional 75 components of which only 9 have been packaged and ship.

That means that currently there are total 115 ( one of this is being worked on ) components are stuck with at least 30 minutes of volunteer time on them that have gone for nothing which could have been spent on active maintainers/packages.

During last development cycle proven packager ( as you are self aware of ) stepped in and package several of those units to help speed things up ( or prevent total breakage depends how you look at this ) and they themselves spent at least half an hour on each component they work on.

Now I cant count the times that I have found left overs from previous feature process that never where completed on components that I have worked on which means that those feature process only got half implement or never actually finished (arguably features should be finished in no more then two development cycles ).

On the current rate we finish sysv to systemd migration feature in F20+!!!

These truly are staggering numbers and remember the sysv to systemd migration is just one feature dealing with 500 - 600 components in the distribution so this problem is on a much larger scale.

JBG