Re: Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

On 06/15/2011 03:48 AM, Francesco Crippa wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working for the planning of next FUDCon EMEA in Milan, and one
> thing we want to do is to have a dedicated website for the event (wiki
> is not the best 'user experience' to promote an event...)
>
> It's nothing special, just 3 html static pages with information like
> "when", "where", etc...
>
> We have sponsors to cover hosting costs or we can use some fedora
> servers for that (static html is easy to be hosted).
>
> The problem is that we want to use a 'professional' domain to access
> the website.. something like:
>      fudcon.fedoraproject.org
>
> Using external domains or 'free' services (fudcon.wordpress.com,
> etc...) is not very professional, and we need as soon as possible a
> domain for the press coverage (it's going to be very urgent in a
> couple of weeks)
>
> Is it possible to create this subdomain and point it to a static
> Amazon S3 website? I discussed the option with the artwork and
> infrastructure team, and apparently this is the right mailing list to
> have an "authorization" to proceed in that way
My (non-board member) thoughts:

* How does this subdomain differentiate itself from all of the other
fudcons happening? We are likely to have 3 within the space of about
four months - Milan in October, APAC likely in November or December, and
then NA in January.  Would it be possible to have it be fudconmilan.fp.o
or something similar? Or perhaps fudcon.fp.o/milan, and have one
centralized page for fudcons in general (which might a great team/group
project, if someone wanted to take on leadership), and then the ability
to send people to a specific event page?

* I realize that wiki is not the best user experience for event
promotion - but will attendees still need to preregister on the wiki
page? How will you ensure that information on the wiki, and changes to
the wiki, are being reflected on the website, or vice versa?

-Robyn