Re: Why we DO need a legal entity, why it must have "Fedora" in it's name and why it must be granted the trademark

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snipped because I don't have anything useful to add to the
financial/liability issues]
> 4. The NPO must be granted the Fedora trademark
>
> Jared, do you remember when we were sitting at Rheinfelden and
> brainstormed for cool swag like baseball caps, mugs, pins and all that?
> On the same weekend we also closed down the NPO, but we failed to see
> the consequences: All the cool swag we have been thinking of will never
> happen.
[snip financial question again for same reason]

> And even if we had an NPO to produce and sell stuff, we cannot do Fedora
> swag because this NPO would not be allowed to use the Fedora logo and
> trademark.

Would it be possible to give an entity like the NPO a trademark
license for swag for a limited timeframe for multiple category of
branded retail object purposes?  With the intent of reviewing the use
of the marks on a recurring basis, and to greenlight or retire branded
material categories on the same recurring basis.

Why the review?  Things change and branding ideas that look good at
some point may have problems later and I think perhaps the Board
should be able to review on a category by category basis and I like
the idea of making it recurring to reinforce the Board's mandate to
control the brand, even if people are licensed to make object using
the brand. Maybe one year Fedora branded lighters would be deemed
okay... maybe next year..maybe lighters are a bad PR or liability move
due to situations out of our control.

-jef