Re: Seeking feedback and/or approval on CWG working group drafts

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:57, inode0 <inode0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Violations of the Code of Conduct may be resolved by suggestions for
>> avoiding the problem in the future up to permanent exclusion from the
>> project, and anything in-between."
>>
>> I know the intentions here are good and there is a desire to not try
>> to enumerate things since everything can't be enumerated but permanent
>> expulsion from the project for any action that the CWG deems a
>> violation of the Code of Conduct is a little too broad isn't it? I
>> understand that there is no intention to use that power except in
>> really extreme cases but that isn't specified here and honestly I
>> wouldn't want expulsion to be a delegated power. I would much prefer
>> to see it require an FPL+unanimous Board decision.
>
> The last sentence covers that:
>
> The final decision takes place with the Fedora Board, or the long term
> delegate of their choosing.

That sentence is part of my objection to this draft. I don't want the
board to delegate the power to expel people for vague unspecified
offenses to another person or body. I want the board to belly up to it
if they really feel it is necessary and do the dirty work themselves
to be blunt about it. That will give me confidence that the offense
really rises to a very high level. What three people on some appointed
committee decide doesn't give me the same confidence for example.

> The one problem with wording unanimous requirements is that in small
> communities everyone knows everyone and has some sort of "history". I
> have seen where because unanimous was required but one or two people
> on a board had to recuse themselves from the decision, the criteria of
> unanimity could never be reached. It is at this point in geeks trying
> to be lawyers that I usually claw out my left eye and go find a quiet
> place.

I don't view that as a problem when it comes to permanent expulsion
from the project. If you can't convince the FPL and the entire board
then I think that penalty is too severe.

But I see your point in general.

John