Re: A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 13:01 +0200, Marcela MaÅlÃÅovà wrote:

> > I agree with Jared. The feeling "everything happens in NA FUDCon" come

> > from fact, that leaders of many projects are from NA, so most of

> > decision is happening there. Also I'm always wondering if anyone

> > interesting would be on non-NA events. It might be good invite Fedora

> > celebrities in advance, so organizers could say there will be decision

> > makers.

> I think we can overplay this meme, to be honest. I certainly got a lot

> of important work done at FUDCon Zurich, and had the sense that others

> did too, and never felt like 'this event is useless because no-one who

> MATTERS is here!' or anything.

Fair enough, but in my not so limited experience, EMEA FUDCons are different, I hope you can agree with that.

Please allow me to refer to a conversation I was having with Guillermo Gomez in the hospitality room at the Courtyard in Tempe; We've just met one another -we were introduced-, and we do the packaging and ruby and "ohw my god are you also interested in that" dance.

At some point he says he's glad to have been able to make it to the NA FUDCon, to which I look around the room, and think... "Why don't I show you around and introduce you to people?". In hindsight, the reason I didn't physically go around and do just that turns out to be bluntly obvious. There's too many much too interesting people to introduce other people to -admittedly a luxury problem.

Instead I pointed out *a couple of dozen* people in that room alone, and everywhere I pointed I had to give an introduction along the lines of "He/She is *the* go-to person on <significant foo X>".

Let's say everyone who's anyone is at a North-American FUDCon, which, arguably, is not far from the truth, and that that's not so much the case elsewhere. That is not necessarily problematic, but it leads the FUDCons in other places in the world to have to try and find their own way of becoming the yearly "key" event in that region. Perhaps that too is part of what makes these events be perceived as less of the place to be, the happening of the year.

-- Jeroen