Re: A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/11/11 11:29 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> To be frank (no Beefy Miracle pun intended), I already dislike the
>> fact that some people feel like they have to be at FUDCon North
>> America (even if they're not from North America), as that's the FUDCon
>> where "everything happens".  If anything, I'd go the other direction
>> -- I would make the regional FUDCon events stronger.
>
> Perhaps one way to do that would be to use funding to get people from NA
> over to the non-NA events.  If that will make it be so that the
> "everything happens" in somewhere other than NA.

This is the crux of the matter.

> I think no matter how you slice it, a bunch of people from one
> hemisphere need to fly to another hemisphere in order for it to seem
> like a "everything happens" kind of event.

Agreed.

> What if this proposal was flipped on its head.  Don't hold a NA fudcon
> and instead use the money to export a bunch of people to EU and have a
> global event there?

While I do think there is tremendous value in co-mingling people from
each region at FUDCon I really don't care where the event is held. NA
is probably the cheapest place to make it happen since most of the
people blocking an "everything happens" event from happening elsewhere
reside in NA.

There are variations that might be considered as well with the goal of
having project planning and more of a global community presence as
part of each FUDCon. We could have one of these for each release in
rotating regions for example.

While there might be insurmountable economic obstacles to any of our
options, I think there is merit in having more global events. Nothing
builds communities better than the people in those communities meeting
face to face.

John