Re: Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
<sspreitzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my opinion is:
>
> 1. There is no legal/contract/agreement/signed thing as of law
> requirements, that any contributor must obey board decisions
> ( As the fedora project is no incorporation of any form the, Fedora
> board is not put into force of any legal form or body. )
> ( FP members/contributors have not signed any contract/agreement which
> puts any force upon them. )

Volunteer projects rarely have the cooperation of its participants
through use of legal force. Cooperation, concensus-building, and the
desire by the participants to achieve a common goal all direct our
actions, even when we might appear at odds.

> 2. There is no legal requirement that EMEA ambassadors are in the need
> of any approval at all.

This is not a "Board vs Ambassadors" fight, and I object to the
trivial characterization thereof.  It does not benefit anyone to look
at this through that clouded lens.  We are both trying to achieve the
same goals, the only serious concern being the timing to introduce
this new method of software delivery.

No one thinks what Christoph suggested is a bad idea - on the
contrary, it's very interesting.  The only concern is that this change
is coming very late in our release cycle, and it is directly in the
critical path of the user experience we currently deliver, the
combination of the two is why the Board and other teams have been
hesitant to jump in wholeheartedly.

> = EMEA Ambassadors proceeding with their freedom of contribution ->
> spread media as they wish

The Project as a whole has funds which are used by the Ambassadors to
create media.  While some Ambassador teams may produce their own media
with their own private funds, I believe that the majority of the funds
used to produce media to give away come from the Project's Community
Architecture budget.  Therefore it is in the best interest of the
Project as a whole to ensure that the media, in many ways our "best
first impression" for users, be a well-thought-out and prepared user
experience.  I don't personally think it's a good idea for different
sets of Ambassadors to produce wildly different media, all under the
same name of Fedora.  If, as Christoph has found out, the price for
dual-layer DVDs has fallen to the point where we can easily make use
of that technology to provide an enhanced user experience, we
absolutely should look at what that experience should be.  The
proposal on the table is quick and simple - I grant it that, but if we
really have 9GB to work with, the "choose your desktop environment at
boot time" model isn't the one I'd naturally gravitate towards.  I'd
much prefer to see a well-integrated environment, where at runtime the
user can choose their desktop environment trivially, and through the
reduction of space taken up by duplicate RPMs from the different
squashfs images, be able to showcase more applications directly.

Thanks,
Matt