Re: December 2010 Fedora Election Plan

On 10/20/2010 12:28 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> I think to say that people don't know about elections is kind of a
>> stretch.  It's historically advertised both on the day voting begins
>> and the few days prior to voting ending on the various announce lists
>> as well as the lists where the voting is limited to people in certain
>> FAS groups (FAMSCo elections are advertised on ambassadors-list, for
>> example). Additionally, numerous folks blog about the process,
>> including calls for help, calls for nominations, advertising for town
>> hall participation, actually voting, saying they voted and including
>> the 'i voted' graphic, etc. It is also made known via Fedora Weekly
>> News as well as status-update places like identi.ca, twitter, and
>> Farmville-central (aka facebook).
>
>> Yes, it's entirely possible that people just don't care, or feel that
>> it doesn't matter who wins, and while the first problem may be solved
>> with education and raising awareness (see next paragraph), the second
>> problem inevitably and historically leads us down the road of
>> governance and the number of electable Board members, which, really,
>> is a Pandora's box of discussion that doesn't need to be opened at the
>> moment.

Fair enough. It's just a personal pet-peeve of mine when any
organization claims to operate as a democracy but tends towards an
extremely limited voting population. I'm just trying to identify ways
that we can involve the community more in the election process. Other
suggestions are welcome.

Can we come up with ways to incentivize voting, somehow? (I'll admit
that I'm coming up dry on ways to do this).

>> As to the rest of your post: Are you volunteering? Because we have a
>> few people who have volunteered to moderate town halls, nobody to deal
>> with questionnaires, and to try and find additional people who want to
>> encourage candidates to have platforms and make sure that information
>> is posted to planet or mailing lists, and send daily reminder
>> mails.... well, we also lack an election wrangler at this point to
>> find those people.  Of course, we also lack Board approval of the
>> proposed schedule, and we can't proceed with the schedule (which
>> starts in a few days) without that anyhow, and we don't know when it
>> might be approved.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate for me to volunteer for moderating
town halls or dealing with questionnaires, as I intend to run as a
candidate for FESCo. That would seem self-serving.

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.