Re: The future of Spins SIG

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 17:32:17 -0600,
  Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) Who else is doing SPINS?

Kevin Fenzi attends meetings and keeps the nightly composes smoothly.
Everyone else pretty much works within the context of their own spins.
Communication is sparse. I see a few commits for some spins.

> 2) What is the current way Spins is organized and what are the demands
> put on it?

Well effectively Kevin and I are helping out release engineering. I think
the goal was to do more creation of best standards and process documentation
as a team. But it hasn't been moving too much that way since we don't have
a lot of help with that part.

> 3) How many people does it take to do the job, and what changes are
> needed for the new caretakers?

It depends on what you want to get doen as part of an overarching group.
I think if you want to be able to be able to have people drop, you probably
need a half dozen or so active participants at a time. Below that it gets
hard to lose people. If you just want some minimal QA and tracking, two
could do it and if one dropped out the other could do it on their own
for a while.

> 4) Do we really need to continue doing SPINS? Are they helping us in
> anyway or are they more of a 'drag' on limited resources.

I think we may need to look at per spin SIGs and have some minimal level
of participation in such SIGs to get ISOs published. Enforcing standards
accross those SIGs could be an issue. But there are issues with documenting
standards and process when there is no overarching Spins SIG. It would
probably fall on Releng to do this. We'd also need to be willing to
bump spins early (so design team doesn't waste resources) if they don't
follow the rules.

Another alternative would be to only produce a couple of live ISOs and
make everyone else do their own remixes. Download stats would be useful
to decide which were worth supporting.

I don't think an overarching Spins SIG is going to work if the individual
spins developers don't feel they need to help develop and document
processes and standards.

I think we need at least one live image ISO, since it makes a nice way to
show off or test Fedora. Otherwise I would rather see us putting more effort
into enabling better custom spins. (Which is my area of interest, along
with getting good games into Fedora.)