Re: Proposal for the future of Fedora

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Stephen Gallagher
<sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to make a proposal to the Board regarding this topic.

Thanks for taking the time to write up a formal proposal.  I love to
see people step forward with concrete proposals that we can debate and
decide on.

Just so you know, I'm a big fan of the "design thinking" methodology,
although I don't always follow it in practice.  In order to help FESCo
and the Board make these decisions, would you mind giving us a little
more detail?  If I'm counting correctly, I see about four separate
proposals in your email.  For each one of the proposals, it might be
helpful to answer these questions:

1) What is the problem with the current way of doing things that your
proposal is attempting to fix?
2) How does this change affect our target audience?
3) How does this change affect our packagers and developers?  Are they
more or less likely to contribute to Fedora because of this change?
4) Have their been other attempts over the past couple of years to
solve this same problem?  Can you identify where or why they failed?

I don't mean for this to be an extra burden on you -- I just think
that answering these questions as best you can will help us understand
your viewpoint a bit better.

> First of all, I will succinctly say that I feel that Fedora should be: A
> stable platform for rapidly developing the next generation of free,
> open-source software.

While I certainly agree that you've hit *part* of what Fedora should
be, I think our vision has to be a bit wider than that.  Fedora is
more than just a operating system for building the next version of the
Fedora distribution.  Fedora is a community first, and the primary
fruit of that community is the distribution.  The Board is currently
working on a vision statement for Fedora.(mizmo posted her version to
the list earlier this morning, and I'm working on my own version too
-- we'll be discussing this in our Board meeting on Friday.)  Once
that's agreed upon by the Board, we'll then work with FESCo to
evaluate your proposals and give them the attention and discussion
they deserve.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader