Re: Board Composition Proposal

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, inode0 wrote:
>
>> I'd like to take a minute to actually propose something concrete for
>> the Board to consider as it sees fit in the coming months. The
>> conversation in the related thread has now veered off into areas I
>> don't want to pursue.
>>
>> Proposed Changes:
>>
>> F15 Election (the next election): no change
>> F16 Election : convert the post election appointed seat to an elected seat
>> F17 Election: convert the post election appointed seat to an elected seat
>>
>> The principle reason I want to make this change is to empower the
>> Fedora community to effectively control the composition of its primary
>> governance body. I also want it to be clear to everyone both inside
>> and outside of Fedora that it is the Fedora Project who determines who
>> governs the project.
>>
>> I accept the reasons given for retaining some appointed seats as
>> sound. Looking back over the past four elections it appears to me that
>> the post election appointment was used to seat the candidate who
>> received the most votes without landing in an elected seat. This I
>> think argues that we are not short of strong and capable candidates
>> running and don't need to consider reducing the number of Board seats
>> unless there are other considerations.
>>

> +1 from me in theory but -1 for actually doing it.  There's some practical
> problems:
>
> 1) This artificially gives the the board a much higher chance of being even
> more Red Hat based.  We have an unfair advantage in that we can spend more
> time working on Fedora.  Therefore we know more people, have more time to
> campaign, make a difference, etc.  It's not fair to volunteers and would
> skew the board.

+1 from me as well.

That said - look at the history page on the wiki:

Of the appointed seats, 13 terms went to RHT employees, while 5 went
to non-RHT employees.
Of the elected seats - 10 terms went to non-RHT employees, while 14
went to RHT employees

Of course in that time period number of elected appointed have
changed. Additionally, I don't recall if Seth was a RHT employee when
he first served on the board (Though I know Paul was not)

So historically - the potential problem you describe is less likely to
happen without appointments than with.