Re: Swag for FUDCons

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 04:53:23PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Robert 'Bob' Jensen
> > We hear a lot of people say things like "I have my FUDcon shirt that I wear all the time." and
> > "Oh I have the really cool case badge from X event" What about contributors that can't get to
> > events? When do they get something for their work with the project? My Suggestion is to quit
> > spending all the money on events, spend some on the contributors that make Fedora. order
> > release shirts make them available to CLA+2 contributors let them pay the postage. Near the
> > end of the release cycle dump the remaining shirts to a couple events. Give us a chance to
> > promote Fedora and we will. I think contributors having the chance to get something Fedora
> > related is a much bigger bang for the buck.
>
> This is where we run into a practical problem. Events are easy
> distribution points. FUDCon is one place we can hit a group of
> contributors easily. How many contributors are we talking about who
> fall completely outside the scope of this? 500? 1000? 5000? Who has
> time to package up and ship 2000 t-shirts individually to people
> regardless of who pays for it?
>
> I'm 100% in agreement that we need to be more than mindful of
> expressing gratitude to contributors for their efforts, we need to
> actually find ways to do it. I would really like to see a more
> systematic way of providing swag to project contributors. This I think
> is a really worthwhile thing to think about ... and I'm going to go do
> that now.

Thanks for looking into this, John.  I think there's enough of a good idea
here to volunteer a bit of time towards sending out shirts but the scale is
what's daunting.  Perhaps if we can figure out something like:

* Having 500 shirts made and sent to one person costs $X0
* One person can process 500 shirts via individual FEDEX envelopes in
  Y0 hours.

* Having 100 shirts made and sent to one person costs $X1
* One person can process 100 shirts via individual FEDEX envelopes in
  Y1 hours.

We'd have a better idea of whether we can match the monetary budget with
contributor time budget.

-Toshio